Kwacha Afrika is an organization that was founded by a group of young volunteers in the year 2000, who wanted to explore theater as a tool of offering educative messages to the community on issues of Adolescence, Reproductive Health and the negative impact of HIV & AIDS. It uses Participatory Educational Theatre (PET) as a main approach to disseminate its messages. Kwacha Afrika is an indigenous coastal phrase which means ‘Arise Afrika.’ Over the years, Kwacha Afrika has grown from a purely theater-oriented organization to become a leading youth organization with activities spanning across the Coast region of Kenya.
- A strong and reliable drama group, which has won many awards and performed for the Chief Justice and other senior figures
- Developed a community resource center with information on Health, Environment and a wide range of other topics
- Development of its own Income Generating Activities, including hiring of chairs, tents, P.A. equipment, hall, and provision of services, such as drama productions, facilitation and computer classes
- Successful peer education programmes in schools throughout Mombasa County
- Implementation of a range of projects, most recently Imarisha Vijana project with aim of empowering 800 youths in Kisauni and Nyali sub-counties respectively in career and business skills, Youth Empowerment Programme (YEP) with more than 300 youth throughout Mombasa County, and the Kenya Transition Initiative (KTI) focusing on Good Governance & Peace-building with more than 1,500 youth in Mombasa and Kilifi counties.
To be a volunteer at Kwacha Afrika one must be:
- Kenyan Citizen
- Aged between 18 and 34 at the time of entry.
- Has a valid ID card.
- Be ready to work in a community set-up.
- Be ready to learn and embrace team work.
- Be ready to travel within the coastal region whenever need arise.
- Be able to appreciate inter-cultural & Multi-cultural values.
JOIN OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM